inCITES updates the Prognosis database with 2017 actuals
inCITES Consulting has updated its granular mobile and fixed connectivity database, Prognosis, with 2017 actual data and a forecast that extends to 2023. Prognosis is based on a variety of public sources for the actual data part as well as a range of methodologies and inputs for the forecast part.
-Total mobile subscriptions in Europe will reach 1.26 billion, up from 1.12 billion in 2017, growing at a CAGR of 1.9% between 2017-23.
- M2M subscriptions are expected to drive the majority of the subscriptions growth with a CAGR of 12.7% between 2017-23.
- Non-M2M subscriptions are also expected to continue to grow, but at a much slower rate (2017-23 CAGR: 0.4%), mainly due to the saturation effect observed in several markets, due to regulation, freeing of data plans and Fixed and Mobile Convergence.
- 5G is forecast to reach 181 million subscription by 2023, accounting for 17.4% of total mobile subscriptions excluding M2M, up from a few thousand connections in 2019. W. Europe will account for the vast majority of 5G subscriptions throughout the forecast period.
-Total fixed broadband subscriptions in Europe are forecast to grow at a CAGR of 1.8% between 2017-23, growing to 257 million in 2023, up from 231 million in 2017.
- Within the fixed broadband market, FTTx technologies are expected to grow the fastest, at a CAGR of 13.7% between 2017-23, mainly at the expense of xDSL technologies, which are expected to decline at a CAGR of -10.2% during the same period.
- W. Europe is expected to be the main driver behind the expected FTTx growth, due to the European Commision’s Action Plan for Europe mandate for ultra-fast broadband.
-Total fixed voice subscriptions in Europe are expected to decline to 223 million by 2023, down from 248 million in 2017 (CAGR of -1.8%). This is merely due to the continuation of the transition away from fixed voice services and towards mobile voice services, a market that has been declining consistently since 2009, according to Prognosis data.
-Total Pay-TV subscriptions are expected to grow to 203 million by 2023, up from 183 million in 2017 (CAGR 1.8%).
- Both Western and Eastern Europe are expected to see similar growth rates over the 2017-23 period. Growth in the Pay-TV market is expected to be driven mainly due to the significant increase of the number of bundle offerings in the majority of the European markets.
For the Press
Prognosis is a granular database that helps business leaders in ICT base their strategic decisions on solid market data. Our database includes historical data and 5 year forecasts of all the major KPIs within the fixed and mobile connectivity markets, covering:
- 41 European markets
- 110k+ data points
- 22 years of coverage
- 110+ KPIs
inCITES Consulting’s mobile and fixed connectivity historical data is based on a number of inputs from trusted sources, including regulator reports, network operator reports, news articles, statistics agencies, international bodies and other insights from conversations with our clients and partners. We place data integrity and robustness on top of our agenda and we have employed a robust forecast process of all available sets of operational, demographic and socioeconomic data.
Prognosis helps users:
- Make informed investment decisions by understanding the key dynamics of the markets covered
- Identify growth opportunities in each market and sub-segment
- Make comparisons across different countries and segments for all KPIs covered
- Understand the different market dynamics and how these will change in the forecast horizon